[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Most popular mouthwash contains Alcohol. Alcohol-based mouthwashes feel fresh and clean, but they can actually lead to a dry mouth with continued use. Not to mention all the other harsh chemicals and sweeteners you can find in the ingredients!
Here are the reasons I ventured out to make my own mouthwash:
- Jeff uses mouthwash for quick freshening between meetings so mouthwash is a must when on-the-go.
- I wanted something Alcohol and Fluoride free.
- I loved the idea of experimenting to make my own, so I did.
[/vc_column_text][mk_padding_divider size=”20″][vc_single_image image=”605″ img_size=”400 x 400″][vc_column_text]There are many different recipes out there but I found that this one worked best. It contains four simple ingredients!
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup of filtered or distilled water
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops of tea tree or lemon essential oil (optional)
- A small container, especially if this is your first time trying this
- I use a small 8 oz. mason jar
[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]Why these ingredients?
Baking soda is an Alkaline. Adding it to your homemade mouthwash will help balance any acids or residue from acidic beverages, and foods. This will also help reduce most bacteria that put you at risk for Gingivitis. The National Cancer Institute actually suggests rinsing with water and baking soda to help reduce oral pain, possible infection and other side effects post Chemotherapy. It’s natural and really works!
You want to use distilled water because it is stripped of all the minerals and harsh buildup that can be found in tap water.
Peppermint oil, along with the baking soda, will help reduce odor. The tea tree and/or lemon oil help to fight against bacteria because they are natural antiseptics.
If you’re still not ready to completely transition out of your normal mouthwash, try adding Xylitol to this recipe. Xylitol is considered a natural sweetener and will make it a little easier to transition out.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]